This simple salad is a delicious main or side dish, especially on a hot summer day.
Suze’s Bean and Tuna Salad
3 medium or 2 large stalks celery, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1 can (15.5 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed, and drained again
- 1 can (5 oz) water-packed tuna, drained (save the tuna water for the cat!)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, or a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
Stir celery, beans, and tuna together. In a separate small bowl, mix Old Bay Seasoning, dill and lemon juice or vinegar. While continuing to whisk, drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing emulsifies. Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss gently. Add freshly cracked black pepper to taste. You can add salt if you want to, but I find it usually doesn’t need it. Tastes best at room temperature.
Serve in a hollowed-out ripe tomato, or on a bed of romaine lettuce. Instead of tuna, you can also use cooked, cubed chicken or cooked, chopped shrimp.